1/28/2007

Chasing the Light

The light here in Thailand is really unique. And moreso is it evident in Pai. The climate has a lot to do with it I think with cool mornings and evenings and warmer temperatures throughout the day. Because it lies in a valley among many hills there's a lot of atmospheric fog creating great deals of depth. But as anyone knows, painting "plein aire" is all about chasing that elusive light.

I've been wrestling with the gouache that I brought for the trip. Being waterbased has helped considerably as it washing out of everything and can spread like honey. Still though, it has a lot of range from watery watercolor to dry brush. It can be literal or vague depending on how you throw it down.

Here's a few that I threw down...but they got back up and kicked back. Hopefully I'll get a decent painting out of this trip yet.

=s=

7 comments:

Joe Kresoja said...

Nice man, real nice!

SSG said...

With Jess' description of Yoga...I think I'll pass on signing up locally. :) I can't believe you guys are still going strong there in Thailand, anxious to come home? or loving the adventures? Speaking of home, Grace has strep throat, Emma has runny nose, I think I caught the strep and Kelly is doing great! We cleaned our furnace pipes last night and now I can sleep at night knowing the fumes aren't coming to haunt us. Thanks for the gift.. got it today... muchly appreciated! Love Terra and Crew

Unknown said...

Hi guys!

Matthew just sent us your blog link. Pretty cool! I don't know how we missed it up till now but glad we can jump on board for the ride. Sounds and looks like a grand adventure. Shane, I'm digging el guaches (just found out it's Portuguese while checking the spelling) and Jess, if you ever get laid off at Concur, go into writing!

We'll keep in touch from here on out.

Love you guys and be carefull!

Coll'n-dad 'n Kathy

Anonymous said...

hey you all .mom and dad here . we are working on the trim in the room. maybe we wont have the wind blow inside .. we miss you both . it is great to see the simple life agrees with the two of you.. much happiness love and all that mom

Unknown said...

OOPS! My mistake!!

I said;
Guache [Portuguese] a thin coat (of water-colour paint etc), especially in a painting

You said (correctly);
Gouache [French] a technique of painting with opaque watercolors prepared with gum.

And then of course there's;
Gauche [French] lacking social grace, sensitivity, or acuteness; awkward; crude; tactless: "Their exquisite manners always make me feel gauche".

Now I'll always feel gauche around you guys when we talk about gouache but, thank heavens, not when we're dicussing guache .... ahemph, duh

Artistodad

Anonymous said...

So it seems you guys are finding your traveling stride. The pix and texts have been great. Can’t wait to here the stories in person.

Stopped by your abode over the weekend and all is well there (the plants were happy to see me).

Enjoy the rest of the trip and keep finding time for the relaxing stuff.

Matt

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,
Glad that you are feeling a 100% Jess. You both sound like you are having a great time and many exciting adventures. Shanes' art work and Jess' photos are wonderful. We are enjoying them and also both your writings. I am ready for a trip after reading your blog! Maybe I can talk your Dad into an adventure in traveling soon.
Have fun and take care, Love , Kathy