2/01/2007

Ticklish

Massages are cheap and available everywhere in street-side parlors. If you don't mind the noise of the scooter and tuk-tuk, you can lean back and relax for a mere $4/hour. The signs out front show a diagram depicting all the "regions" of the foot (and presumably what body function or part they relate to).
After the hike to the waterfall, I had tender tootsies and stiff legs. Time for a foot massage! No frills here - one large room has several thin pads and pillows, so you'll be right next to your fellow massag-ee. The lady assigned to me started out with a foot wash, then I laid down on the pad. She did a lot of unusual things: drawing knuckles across the top foot bone, raking a stick down the sides of my foot, drawing a figure-eight on the sole with her fingernail. Although a few felt weird at first, it was very relaxing overall.
She finished up by walking her hands up my leg bones, putting her full weight on them, and having me sit up and do something similar to my neck and shoulders. I think this was a taste of Thai-style massage - less kneading, and more pushing and pulling the limbs around (described as "passive Yoga"). I may have to give that a try before I leave as well.
I vote for this kind of low-budget walk-in approach in the States! I don't always need the luxurious spa atmosphere to get the kinks out...
Kapoot
We've had a few items give up the ghost - my camera refused to turn on yesterday and no new battery combinations made a dent, so looks like we are done with pictures for this trip.
Shane's sunglasses hinge fell apart as well, so he is now sporting a nifty new pair of silver shades, with raised skull and crossbones on each earpiece (pickings were slim in the market).
I'm posting a few interesting pics we got before the camera blow-out here...

No comments: