6/20/2007

Road Trippin': Destination Badlands

Once again the Jessie and I are outward bound. This time we're roadtripping it across several states. Our final destination...somewhere in South Dakota.
For the past several months it has been known that we'd be attending a family reunion. Much of those months I was kept in the dark about the whole thing. I knew when we were going and I had an inkling of what we'd be lodging in. Otherwise I've been caught unawares. It's really the only kind of surprise I like...when I know what's coming in the abstract.
It's fairly clear which vehicle we'll take. The PT Cruiser is our weapon of choice. Mainly because it's roomier, and with the added cargo of Jess's brother, Spencer, we needed a little extra breathing room and comfort. The Pontiac Grand Ma would have to stay behind. Which is fine because while I love her to death, she can be an unpredictable mistress.
Packing for this trip is like no other. It's like extended car camping without the tent. We'll be lodging it at some dude ranch...or some such. So pots, pans, towels, clothes, art implements, and anything else is all fair game. Bedding and a roof over our head will be supplied. As travelers however I'm desperate to still travel light, and yet when the details are so fuzzy you really need to be prepared for everything.
Lastly my concern about road trippin' is always about safety on the road. With teenage incidents rising high almost in tandem with gas prices (which have dropped a little yaaah!) my vigilance and hyperawareness will probably exhaust me at the end of each turn at the wheel. Luckily we're about 16 hours from our destination. With maps in hand and adventure on our minds, we'll keep you posted (as best we can) what roadside curiosities are worthy of note.
=s=

No comments: