3/01/2007

NYC: Art Tour

Two places I've been wanting to go to for some time were finally realized on this trip.


Murals on 54th is part of the Warwick hotel in NYC. It houses murals by Dean Cornwell from the 1930s and impressive ones at that. If you tour around the site you can get a sense of the scale of these things. He's one of my favorite illustrators from that period along with a handful of others. When I showed up the restaurant wasn't going to be open for 3 more hours, but they graciously let me in once I told them, "I came all the way from Seattle to see these..."


The other place I visited was The Hispanic Society of America Museum and Library . My motivation for checking this place out was to see Joaquin Sorolla's huge paintings. He's primarily considered a colorist I think, because his bravurra use of color is what first and foremost grabs you. The finishes of the pieces I saw at roughly 10' x 20' were still rough and not nearly as polished as someone such as John Singer Sargent. However the example below shows that he definitely has breadth to his work. For more examples of his work check it out here . Be patient the long downloads are worth the wait.

=s=

1 comment:

Augie Pagan said...

Dude, those museum trips look like they were a blast. All I can say about those Cornwell murals is "compostion, composition, composition."

Genius.