2/25/2007

NYC: Soooo...cold!

Despite best laid plans to document such things, one can never under estimate the power of weather and the need to travel light.

The flight into Newark was cake, and the bus to Grand Central was smooth, and the train up to my sister's in Connecticut was a walk in the park. I was only briefly going to be there until the next day when I'd head back down into New York City for the Comicon show.

When I arrived on Friday it was rather cold especially with the wind gusts. I thought I'd try walking from Grand Central Station to the Javitts Center. It started off okay, as I was walking south, but as soon as I started walking west the winds did everything to hold me back. I got about six blocks away from my destination before I hailed a cab and admitted defeat...de feet were tired too! My new shoes that I had purchased and worn for a week or so before the trip did not favorable support my arches on concrete. The shoes all around rubbed me the wrong way and made for difficult going. It's easier to jungle trek when the ground is softer it seems.

The New York City Comicon show was good because it was warm inside, and despite not having enough room for my big old camera in my day bag, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Well I did see overweight stormtroopers, and infantile Princess Leia's being carried by their Obi Wan Kenobi fathers but that's par for the course. There was a lot of great art and I met a few people I had conversed with online. So for the most part it was a recon mission at best.

I checked into The New Yorker Hotel later that day. It's a very simple typical hotel, nothing special really. A remodelled lobby, less than attractive rooms, with incredibly warm hallways, oh, and the same piece of art on various walls throughout the place. I hit a few cafes over the next day or so and didn't really make the effort to seek out fine dining. I think after so much travel in the last few days I was winding down.

More later...
=s=

No comments: